Friday 8 November 2013


I met today with John Coster of Citizenseye and Namrata Varia from BBC Radio Leicester. Namrata is continuing the success of the BBC 4 Listening project.

"We want everyone to have a chance for their conversation become part of the Listening Project. A conversation that you have at your kitchen table could become part of the oral history archive in the British Library. Don’t be put off if you’ve never recorded anything before. All you need is a computer, laptop, camera, mp3 player or phone with a microphone.

If you don't have access to any of those then you can still get in touch with one of the local BBC radio stations participating in the Listening Project. A full list of the stations involved is available on our stations page"

I have often wondered if the stories  captured here in the blog ever spark conversations between families; whether you turn and ask your parents and siblings the kind of questions I've asked them. For example " What did it feel like coming over on your own?" I know I never asked my Mum and Dad and I regret that.

Do not let our stories disappear: you can always talk to me and I'll write them down and put them up on the blog, Or we can take this a step further and come along to Radio Leicester and record your stories together. Just let me know.

If you'd like to be involved contact us on 0116 276 9186 or pop in to:

The Emerald Centre, Gipsy Lane, Leicester. LE5 OTB

We're now also on Twitter: follow me on  @irishleicester or join The Irish in Leicester group on Facebook.
Click here to view a map of The Irish in Leicester.

No comments:

Post a Comment